High School Students
Summer Research Experience for High School Students
at Wayne State University School of Medicine
2023 Application opens on December 19th, 2022
Questions? Contact us via email at BCAPGroup@wayne.edu
What is a BCAP Research Experience?
The Biomedical Career Advancement Program (BCAP) is a summer research experience for youth interested in pursuing careers in health science. Students work alongside senior research/clinical faculty to explore research investigation in a highly enriched environment.
BCAP is an amazing opportunity for you to:
►Explore STEM Careers:
- Career Panels: Students will engage in open, honest dialogue with health science students and professionals to gain first-hand information and practical advice on various career paths
►Receive Certified Laboratory Training:
- Students will receive training to conduct research at Wayne State University
►Participate in Advanced-level Laboratory experiments:
- Students will learn to apply common laboratory techniques to understand human disease (e.g., polymerase chain reaction (PCR), gel electrophoresis, microscopy, pipetting, etc.)
►Engage in Professional Development:
- Students will participate in activities to develop their writing and presentation skills
►Establish a health science professional network:
- Students will meet like-minded individuals that are on the same career path and will be mentored by university faculty and graduate students
►Earn Monetary Award:
- Students who successfully complete the program are eligible to receive a monetary award
►What is the BCAP Program Structure?
- 20 hours each week on a research project
- Attend weekly workshops and training
- Present project at the research symposium and
►Who can apply for BCAP?
- High school students who are currently in 10th, 11th, or 12th grade
- Priority is given to:
- Wayne County residents
- Detroit Public School students
- Students from educationally, environmentally, or economically disadvantaged backgrounds
- Priority is given to:
- Personal statement: Interest in pursuing a health science career
- GPA ≥ 2.75 (official transcript required upon program acceptance)
►What is the Process for Applying to BCAP?
- Step 1: Apply to BCAP.
- Step 2: BCAP Team will review applications.
- Students will be invited to submit official transcripts and schedule an interview.
- Step 3: Applicant Interviews
- Step 4: Acceptance Letters and Waiting List letters are sent out.
BCAP Important Dates*
Saturday, June 10, 2023
Monday, June 26, 2023
Monday through Friday
Presentations & Closing Ceremony
Friday, August 4, 2023
For more information, contact us via e-mail: email@example.com or phone: (313) 831-7010.
The Michigan Area Health Education Center is required to report information about program participants. Data will be kept private to the extent allowed by law
and will be referenced periodically to evaluate the effectiveness of our services and programs.
BCAP Interest Form
Fill out this form to let us know you are interested in BCAP or BCAP Juniors:
Programs Related to BCAP
BCAP Alumni Students can apply for BCAP Scholars
BCAP Scholars prepare their summer research project
for the Junior Science & Humanities Symposium